We always love ideas and recipes for healthy, protein rich, snacks and meals. This recipe for Breakfast Egg Muffins came to us from one of our moms. These easy to make and easy to eat treats are a great option for breakfast, brunch or just for a protein snack anytime. They also freeze incredibly well, so it’s possible to make a big batch and save them for later. You can make them your own by adding in your favorite omelet ingredients.
1 tsp olive oil
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
12 large eggs, whisked
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp salt
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
½ – ¾ lb of sausage, ham, bacon, ground turkey or beef
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Sauté onions in olive oil with medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add peppers and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes. At this point, feel free to add in any other of your favorite omelet ingredients. Hash browns, sweet potatoes, cheese, jalapeno peppers, meat and smoked salmon are all possible additions.
3. While peppers are cooking, whisk eggs in a large bowl.
4. Once onions/peppers are sautéed, remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Dump in egg mixture and stir well, sprinkling in the salt and pepper.
5. Coat a large muffin pan with olive oil spray or coconut oil. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, fill each muffin cup.
6. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove them once the tops get high, fluffy and golden brown. Pop them out with a butter knife or spatula.
*Emily made a batch for Melanie and I to try this week, and they are quite good! Almost like scrambled eggs, but in easy to take on-the-go bites. They make for a great snack any time of the day, and you can do so many things to switch them up and keep them full of variety. When I make them next, I’ll be sure to add some chopped spinach, and maybe kale. Yum! I think kids would gobble them up too!*